So you're in the mood to decorate your bedroom, but you're on a limited budget...
AND you don't have a headboard. And we all know that the bed is the major focal point of a bedroom. Your bed needs weight and drama... a headboard!
But if you don't want to spend $1000 on a headboard, what do you do?
Well here are 6 very budget friendly ways to adding a headboard to your bed.
1. Place box cushions along the wall at the head of your bed. These are thick enough to hold there shape while adding a cushioned backdrop to your bed. Now you can lay in bed and read a book comfortably. You can make your box cushions out of foam and fabric or find some discount cushions to match your decor. Even old couch cushions covered in new fabric can work!
2. Hang a full-length mirror horizontally above your bed. This will give the feel of a headboard, reflect light in the room and help open up your space. You'll be surprised at how great this looks!
3. Hang fabric down your wall. Quickly sew up some rod pocket curtains, or find some pre-made curtains and hang them from the ceiling down and behind your bed. This will add height, texture and drama to your bed. You can hang your fabric with a standard curtain rod or staple it to 1" x 2" board.
4. Hang framed art across the wall above your bed. Find images that complement your room's color scheme and frame them in a rich wood tone or paint the frames to add a punch of color. Evenly space them on the wall above the head of your bed.
5. Make your headboard! This is easier than you think. Get some plywood at the height and width that you need. Glue a layer of foam to the board. Then cover the foam and board with batting, stapling it to the back of the board. And the cover the batting with your fabric, stapling it to the back of the board. Easy!
6. Hang shutters behind your bed. What a terrific country look, to reuse some old shutters or fencing and use it as a headboard!
With a little imagination you can come up with your own special headboard creation that will add much needed drama to your bedroom plus adding in your personality. Because what's a bedroom without your personality shining through?
Reprinted with permission.
More related articles:
Bedroom Redo's on a Budget
Ten Creative Headboard Ideas for Frugal Decorators
Romantic Bedroom on a Budget
Click here for a printer friendly version of this page.
Click here to subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
Recommend this article to a friend!
Search our article archives.